Lucky the Cat


Lucky the Cat
When I saw a young cat riding calmly on an elderly gentleman’s shoulders, I couldn’t resist calling out. "Can I take a photo of your cat?" yelled I. The man was in the process of getting into his car (which, by the way, held two waggy dogs), but he paused and obliged. Behind his mask he was smiling, I’m sure.

Don’t you love Lucky’s lynx-like ears? He was the very picture of feline composure. Alert, Lucky was more interested in his surroundings than he was in me, which is something I admire.

Lucky’s human associate told me the cat had been with him since he weighed just eight ounces. Lucky is indeed lucky to have such a caring human in his life. The cat was in a harness and on a leash.

In the background is Ocean Park’s historic Taylor Hotel. Many decades ago, the hotel’s long-gone east wing would have been visible in this photo. This 2008 newspaper article is full of details about the building and the people who’ve been associated with it:

"The old becomes new again: Adelaide’s Comes to the Taylor Hotel"

The Chinook Observer

By Sydney Stevens Mar 18, 2008 Updated Dec 20, 2018

For as long as anyone can recall, the Taylor Hotel has dominated the Bay Avenue streetscape in the heart of Ocean Park. Most folks can’t remember it in its heyday when it truly was a hotel. But, over the years, it has served the community in a multitude of ways and is what many consider a "fixture" of the Peninsula’s north end.

New owner Cyndy Hayward learned early on and first-hand that the hotel has a special significance to peninsula residents.

As soon as work on the building began, community members "rallied round" in support of efforts to restore the building and bring its original owner back into the public eye. Yes, "Adelaide’s" is coming to town – named in honor of Mrs. William Taylor who, with her husband, opened the Taylor House as a hotel and boarding house in 1887.

Now, 121 years later, Adelaide’s will utilize the spacious first floor of the Taylor Hotel as a bookstore and café. "It will feature an espresso bar with comfortable seating and a variety of good magazines and newspapers for customers to peruse. I hope it will be a place where people feel free to just come and hang out," says Cyndy.

The bookstore will be located beyond the café, toward the back of the building. There, browsers will be welcome to read and discuss the latest works of fiction and non-fiction. In one corner, brightly painted with a mural by Seattle artist Quill Teal-Sullivan, children will find their very own section of shelves – just the right height for easy selection – with whimsical carpeting to curl up on.

"Even though Adelaide’s will handle only new books," Cyndy points out, "so many people have suggested ‘must have’ titles that I couldn’t resist increasing my original idea of 3,000 books; we’ll be opening with many more than that!"

Her plans also include evening events – poetry readings, book club meetings, a weekly jazz night, a place for the local astronomy group to meet, perhaps evening monthly foreign films. "I think Adelaide’s will take on its own persona," says Cyndy. "I look forward to it filling a needed niche, especially for north-enders."

Cyndy’s interest in the building began a few years ago. "Jimella Lucas was looking for a space to open her fish market and community store. She and I were looking at various possibilities and she pulled up in front of the Taylor Hotel.

It wasn’t even listed but Jimella had heard through the grapevine that the owners were considering selling the building. She decided it wouldn’t work for her, but I was absolutely smitten! I felt that it was a building that needed to be saved; that needed to be used. So I approached the owners, Mr. and Mrs. K. C. Rogers, who had long since left the Peninsula, we negotiated, and the planning was underway!

A "Community Hub"

As soon as the various workmen started, people began dropping by to ask what was going on and to make suggestions and offers of help. The interest has been truly remarkable – offers to assist with book selection, to do needed landscaping, to provide evening events. The tiles facing the barista’s counter were done by Sandy Bradley of Nahcotta; much of the artwork on the walls is by recent Espy Foundation residents. Even the name was suggested by a friend! Adelaide’s is already feeling like a community hub," Cyndy enthuses.

The work on the old building has been an adventure in itself. During the stabilization and restoration of the structure, many old-fashioned ("home grown," says Cyndy) construction techniques were discovered. The ‘posts’ of the pier and post foundation were actually tree stumps.

"Many of the ceiling joists just ended; they didn’t go anywhere or attach to anything," she says. "And, over the years the floor beams had tilted had pulled away from the outer walls. It took the workmen’s incredible ingenuity and skill to correct that problem!

"The inner walls were beautiful, clear hand-hewn one by tens – fir I think – put together with square nails throughout. They were overlaid with cheesecloth on which were layers and layers of Victorian patterned wallpaper."

Front Door

Cyndy’s eyes sparkle as she asks visitors, "Did you notice the front door? We believe it’s the original. And etched on the glass is ‘Taylor House.’ The Rogers removed it when they left the peninsula and had it carefully stored until such time as it would be needed. The time has come!

"Except for necessary repairs and a fresh coat of paint, we’ve left the outside of the building alone. The inside, though, was a rabbit warren of little rooms, much changed from the original floor plan. We essentially gutted all of that and opened up the first floor. It will be a friendly space filled with the fragrance of coffee and new books and with cozy furniture inviting you to stay awhile."

No doubt the original Adelaide would have been pleased with that concept. During the years that she owned and operated the hotel, from 1887 to the mid-1930s, the building often served important community functions, from providing housing for shipwrecked sailors to hosting fund-raising activities for local and regional projects. The first street lights in Ocean Park were financed largely through proceeds from card parties held at the Taylor Hotel – "Admission 50 cents per person, 75 cents per couple; refreshments included."

Rooms were mostly rented by the week or the month during the summer, though there were always a few year-round residents as well. In the 1930s, a week’s room and board was $10 per person.

The Taylor family (which included nine children, seven of whom lived to maturity) had their living quarters downstairs. The first floor also contained the kitchen and a large dining room where guests ate meals prepared with vegetables and berries grown in Adelaide’s large garden behind the hotel.

"According to family stories, Adelaide had two big wood cookstoves in her kitchen," says her great-great granddaughter, Paula Cooper, of Ocean Park. "The tops of both stoves would be literally covered with clams or oysters when she was cooking dinner for the hotel restaurant. And everything she served was fresh, fresh, fresh!"

When the Ilwaco Railway began its Ilwaco to Nahcotta run in 1889 and access to peninsula towns grew easier, it soon became apparent that the six upstairs guest rooms would not be up to tourist demand. The Taylors lost no time in building a 36-room annex to the east of the hotel. The annex was finally torn down in 1931, the lumber salvaged and used to build five little cabins across the street from the hotel. Now, too, the cabins are but a memory.

Ocean Park Pioneers

Adelaide and William ("Bill") Taylor moved to the Ocean Park area in 1886, just three years after the town’s beginnings, but before it was officially named.

They had most recently been residents of Oysterville where William had worked for Lewis Loomis as stagecoach driver and had also served as sheriff and assessor of Pacific County in the early 1880s.

In Oysterville they lived at the corner of Territory and Weatherbeach Roads where the stage line had its terminus and where Adelaide served as the community’s midwife.

Like many of the early settlers in the area, William had already had what might be considered a colorful past.

Born in 1845 in Chautauqua County, N.Y., he had lived in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kansas and California and had worked as a miner, farmer and railsplitter before arriving in Pacific County in 1876 at the age of 31. Here he met Adelaide Stuart and began to think about "settling down."

Unlike her intended, Adelaide was a Pacific County native, born in Bruceport. Her mother, a member of the Quinault tribe, had married a white man, a practice disapproved of by the Quinaults at that time.

Therefore, Adelaide’s family had moved to the area of the Chinooks who held no such taboo against intermarriage.

Long-time Ocean Park resident Adelle Beechey remembers Adelaide as "a tiny little woman" who was still running the hotel in 1936 when Adelle moved to town. "Her daughter, Mary, was about my age. We had gone to school together in Ilwaco."

According to some reports, Adelaide and Bill Taylor moved to the area that would become Ocean Park in an effort to get away from the rowdy, boom-town atmosphere of Oysterville four miles to the north.

They settled not far from today’s Ocean Park cemetery and soon established a large vegetable garden – a garden which would continue to supply produce for the Taylor family and their hotel patrons for nearly 50 years.

The Methodist Camp Ground

Perhaps their bountiful garden was in part responsible for the Taylors’ first commercial venture in Ocean Park – a restaurant.

Undoubtedly, it was the first eating establishment in the three-year-old settlement which, in those early days, was still owned and managed by the Ocean Park Camp Meeting Association of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Portland.

The Association had purchased 250 acres of land having three-quarters of a mile of water frontage on the ocean beach.

Its purpose was to provide a Christian summer resort for its members. According to the articles of incorporation, each of its members received a perpetual lease on the land and all were prohibited from manufacturing or drinking any kind of alcoholic beverage and from engaging in prostitution or gambling.

Known familiarly as "The Methodist Camp Ground," the area was named Ocean Park in 1888.

By then, the Association was beginning to allow "outsiders" to purchase property. The record is silent on whether the Taylors were members of the Association when they purchased the property for their restaurant and, a year later, for their hotel.

However, once the Taylor Hotel was up and running, they sold the restaurant which then became the first Methodist Chapel in Ocean Park.

After William Taylor died in 1919, Adelaide remarried. She continued to run the hotel until well into the 1930s and it was not until her death in 1940 that the Taylor Hotel was sold and passed out of the family.

During its long history, the hotel saw many changes in Ocean Park, particularly with regard to transportation.

When the Taylors first established their business in 1886, guests arrived by the Loomis Stagecoach which travelled on the hard beach sands from Ilwaco to Oysterville. It is easy to speculate that the Taylors located their hotel close to the beach with that stagecoach in mind. William Taylor had undoubtedly "delivered" many a passenger to the Methodist Camp Grounds during his years as a stage driver.

Within three years, however, the enterprising Loomis had built his narrow gauge railroad and travelers came north from Ilwaco in the relative comfort of the train.

Many are the stories of the crowds that gathered at the Ocean Park Depot on summer weekends awaiting the arrival of the Friday evening "Papa Train" – so called because of the numbers of men who came from Portland each week to join their vacationing families at the beach.

A ‘baggage man’ would meet the train with his horse and wagon, load up all the luggage, and deliver it to the hotel and to various summer homes and boarding houses.

By the 1920s, automobiles were becoming increasingly popular and local residents began putting their efforts into the establishment of roads to "the outside."

Again, the Taylor Hotel played its part, hosting fund-raisers to benefit construction of the K.M. highway from Longview to Long Beach – the road now known as Washington State Route 4.

Since its closure as a hotel, the venerable old building has housed art galleries, a coffee shop, an arts and crafts co-op, a re-sale clothing store and, for a short while, apartments on the second floor.

"I am so grateful to the Rogers for being careful stewards of the property during their twenty years of ownership," says Hayward. "Although there was a great deal of work to be done to bring the building back to life in the twenty-first century, the ‘bones’ were kept intact. It is a grand old building.

"We plan to open on for business within the next few weeks. Leigh Wilson of Oysterville will be operating the bookstore portion of Adelaide’s and Jason Anderson of Ocean Park will serve as barista in the café. No doubt, I’ll be somewhere on the premises, as well, back in my little office or just hanging out, enjoying a cup of great coffee and a good book!…

Update: As of August, 2020, Adelaide’s is still a going concern and still sells coffee, pastries, ice cream and books. Until the covid pandemic struck in March, 2020, the business was a de facto community center. During the lockdown, Adelaide’s sold ice cream on a take-out basis. It is now open on a limited schedule for customers who wear masks and practice social distancing.
By A.Davey on 2020-08-05 16:43:03

Classic detective fiction is the type of fiction that really makes a reader focus on the pages. These types of stories are not generally very gory or bloody as such stories can be today, but they do hold some blood and gore inside the pages; they just release it shortly and at proper intervals. The history of classic detective fiction is interesting to say the least.

Most critics agree that classic detective fiction rose from the pages around 1841 when the famous Edgar Allen Poe wrote the story of The Murders in the Rue Morgue. His character, Dupin, is able to solve the crimes that were unable to be solved by the police thereby paving the way for future detectives to come along and do the same. He created the dazzling detective who attempts to solve the perplexing crime and the aloof colleague (or friend) who records every bit of the case in detail. The police, of course are lost. They appear to be unsure of which road to follow and by the end they are completely astonished as everything is laid out before them by the hero (the detective).

After Poes discovery and subsequent tale, there were many attempts at successful detective fiction but none were notable until Recollections of a Detective Police Officer by Waters. At this point, the stories had become almost unreadable since there really was no literary attempt. The end to hack writing came in 1859 when Wilkie Collins The Woman in White forced other writers to show some sort of a literary effort to be able to compete. The other notable novel that followed in Collins footsteps was Hugos Les Miserables (1862) which is still immensely popular in theatre today.

Novels such as this were published for years, giving the public reason to believe that there would never be an evolution of the genre. However, in 1887, Sherlock Holmes emerged from the pages of Beetons Christmas Annual. Unfortunately, the original story did not take off at first. The intricate character had seemed doomed to fade into the pages and be lost forever. Four years later, in 1890, Lippincott picked up Doyle and put him on contract to write more Holmes stories. Strand magazine also began publishing Doyles detective stories. This is when the craze began. The first stories were combined into a book to form a series. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes was enormously successful, and so was the following series, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, even though Doyle made a decision to kill of Holmes in this series. Of course, since this was now a very popular character, the death of Holmes generated anger and protest among the public. The demand for Sherlock Holmes was greater than ever. Although Doyle obviously did not want to do itPsychology Articles, he was finally forced to bring the character back to life around 1905 to appease both the public and the publishers.

This character and the cases that he participated in changed the way that detective fiction would be written from then on. Doyle is now considered to have paved the way for the Golden Age of Detective Fiction.